When I was recently testing the Tile GPS, I wondered if it is worth the hype. So, I did some research and testing deep dive into this area.
Is the TILE GPS worth the hype? Yes. They are great for locating objects within 200 ft (which is what most people use them for) but are not ideal for locating objects like your phones, cars if they are more than 200ft away.
More and more people choose to use tile GPS for tracking their keys, wallets, mobile phones and other types of items. The Tile GPS is great for locating objects in a house (within 200 ft). There are many things you probably didn’t know about tile GPS.
What is the Range of Tile GPS?
There are different types of tile GPS devices. Tile GPS systems are divided into two categories – Pro Series and Original Series. Tile Sport, as well as Tile Style, belong to the category of Pro Series GPS trackers and Tile Mate as well as Tile Slim belong to the category of Original Series GPS trackers. Check it out on Amazon.
Short range. Tile Sports GPS device is traditionally used for tracking items of small size such as active gear, bags, camera, keys, travel items, etc. Tile Style GPS device is used for similar purposes. The only difference is that Tile Style is designed in a more beautiful style.
- Both Tile Sport and Tile Style GPS trackers are waterproof and they offer extra protection from dirt and spills. The Bluetooth range of Tile Sport as well as Tile Style GPS devices is up to 200 ft.
- Tile-Mate can be used in the same ways as Tile Sport and Tile Style GPS devices. However, this type of GPS tracker is not waterproof and not well protected against dirt. Tile-Mate is obviously a good option for those who are looking for a GPS tracker that can be used every day.
- It’s a great idea to use Tile Slim GPS device for tracking such items as laptops, tablets, and wallets. The Bluetooth range of Tile Mate as well as Tile Slim GPS devices is up to 30 – 100 ft.
Keep in mind that Bluetooth range of Tile GPS trackers depends a lot on the environment. That means that the Bluetooth range might vary.
How Long Does the Tile Work (Timeframe)?
- Battery – 1 year. One of the great benefits of Tile GPS trackers is that they are very reliable. It’s worth noting that Tile GPS trackers are powered by replaceable batteries. You should know that Tile GPS trackers are 99% recyclable. That means that you need to use only 1 battery per year for a Tile GPS tracker.
- Warranty – 1 year. Each of the tiles s comes with 1-year warranty. In other words, you’ll be guaranteed that your Tile GPS device will work successfully for 1 full year. When warranty ends, you’ll be able to take advantage of the so-called reTile program! This program gives you an excellent opportunity to replace all of your Tile GPS trackers for a discounted price.
- Email notification to replace your battery. Pretty cool. Let’s assume that you have activated your Tile GPS tracker today. When 11 months pass, you’ll get a notification email saying that you should replace all of Tile GPS devices in your account. If you choose to benefit from the program you’ll get a new Tile GPS tracker.
Now, it’s time for you to replace an existing Tile GPS tracker with a new one. This can be done either online or through the app. Your old GPS tracker should be recycled as they should not be thrown away.
Is tile GPS or Different Technology?
- Tile GPS devices use the innovative Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 (also known as Bluetooth LE, BLE and Bluetooth Smart) technology to find items and locate them on the map. It’s common knowledge that Bluetooth is a wireless technology. However, Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 (BLE) technology is much more different from technologies such as Classic Bluetooth technology, GPS, and Wi-Fi technologies.
- GPS lite. It’s important to know that Tile GPS trackers don’t use GPS systems. When a Tile GPS tracker is used, the connection between you and your item is established via Bluetooth. Tile devices use the GPS Location Services to track an item and locate it on the map.
- Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 is a wireless personal area network technology. This new generation technology was designed by the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) and introduced to the public in 2009. Obviously, the company aims to reduce the energy consumption of its devices.
- What is great about Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 is that this technology makes it possible to reduce power consumption significantly. That’s why devices that use Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 can work successfully for a long time.
- The technology is supported by different types of mobile operating systems including Android, BlackBerry, Linux, macOS, Windows 8, Windows 10 and Windows Phone. According to the predictions of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), the technology is expected to be supported by all types of Bluetooth-enabled smartphones by 2018.
Can the Tile be Used to Track a Car?
- The reality is Tile GPS devices can’t track items as they move in real time. Therefore, you may find it hard to track a moving object with a Tile GPS tracker. That’s why it’s not recommended to use Tile GPS devices for tracking children, pets, and other fast-moving objects.
- Additionally, the passive tracker does not transmit data to satellites or cell towers so you couldn’t locate your car if it were stolen or if you were trying to locate your spouse. There are better ways to do this.
- On the other hand, you’ll be able to track an item successfully if it’s located within Tile GPS device’s Bluetooth range. That means that if you would like to track a moving object, then a phone with the app should travel together with a Tile GPS device.
- So, there is only one way you can use a Tile GPS device for tracking a car. For example, you can attach it to car keys and put your phone inside a car. In this case, your car keys and phone with the app will travel together. This will make it possible for you to use a GPS device for tracking a car.
- Nowadays, it comes with some features for tracking moving devices. If, for example, a mobile phone with the app goes out of your Tile GPS tracker’s range, then you’ll receive the information on the most recent location of your Tile GPS device. If you arrive at this place within a short period of time, you’ll have a good chance to find an object with the Tile.
Within this article, we reviewed the Tile GPS device, it’s features and limitations. The Tile GPS trackers are passive trackers with limited range. They are great for locating objects within 200 ft but are not ideal for locating long range objects like your phones, cars which can travel hundreds or thousands of miles away. These trackers are ideal for locating objects inside a structure like a house where direct line of sight GPS is not required. This is where they shine.
It is are also much cheaper than regular GPS trackers which make buying multiple “tags” or “tiles” ideal. This would be too cost prohibitive with a regular GPS. These location trackers also have a great battery life since they are passive trackers. If you lose your remote, keys or purse often then consider getting a few of the tile “trackers” so you can easily locate them. If you have any recommendations or questions for Tile GPS, leave them in the comment box below.