HUNTING GPS TRACKER
Handheld GPS devices are the ideal option for hunting since you will most likely be moving through the exact trails that you are used to. Since you are traveling through woods & land and focusing on hunting, you will need decent GPS to track where you start and stop – AND that can get you back to camp. If you are a hunter, then you need to consider a hunting GPS tracker. Not any GPS will do. In this review, we’ll give you insights into handheld GPS trackers and GPS trackers for hunting. As a result, you’ll be able to make a smart choice and purchase the best hunting GPS tracker.
WHAT ARE THE BEST HANDHELD GPS FOR 2018?
If you are an active lifestyle enthusiast who spends a lot of time outdoors, then you should definitely purchase a handheld GPS. Actually, there is no shortage of handheld GPS devices available in the market these days. So, you may find it hard to purchase the best handheld GPS for 2018.
The question is – what features to look for in the best-handled GPS? Obviously, you should try to purchase a handheld GPS with long battery life. Such a GPS device will be able to work without a recharge for a long time. You also need to pay a close attention to GPS tracker’s navigation. It would be better for you to consider handheld GPS trackers with reliable and continuous navigation. You also need to pay a close attention to GPS tracker’s size and weight. Of course, you should aim to purchase lightweight GPS trackers. You’ll definitely find it easy to use a lightweight GPS tracker in your hand. If your budget allows you to purchase more expensive GPS trackers, then you should take a look at strong GPS devices. Such GPS trackers are shock and abrasion resistant. Water resistant GPS trackers are also worth considering. You’ll not find it hard to use such a GPS tracker in rainy weather.
Handheld GPS trackers also come with many other useful features such as barometer and altimeter, electronic compass, camera, wireless sharing, two-way radio as well as external memory. So, you need to familiarize yourself with the features of each model first and then purchase a handheld GPS that will fit your needs in the best possible way.
There are two main types of handheld GPS trackers. You can purchase either a handheld GPS tracker with a touch screen or a handheld GPS tracker with a button. Below, we’ll give you more details on each type of handheld GPS trackers.
- Handheld GPS trackers with touch screens. Obviously, touch screens add more comfort to a GPS tracker. With a touchscreen, you’ll be able to find the necessary functions on your GPS device fast and easy. However, GPS trackers with touch screen have their own drawbacks. For example, it’s difficult to use a GPS tracker with gloves on in winter. If you are looking for handheld GPS trackers with a touchscreen display, then you need to consider such a GPS tracker as Garmin Oregon 450t Handheld GPS Navigator
- Handheld GPS trackers with buttons. GPS trackers of this type are slower. When you use a button, you’ll need to scroll through the different options. So, it will take you more time to select the necessary options on the GPS tracker’s screen. On the hand, it’s pretty easy to use such a GPS tracker with gloves on in cold conditions. That means that you’ll be able to use buttoned models all year round. So, if handheld GPS trackers with buttons are more to your liking, then you need to take a look at such models as Garmin eTrex 30x 010-01508-10 Handheld Navigator or Garmin eTrex 30 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator.
WHAT ARE IDEAL GPS WATCHES FOR HUNTING?
Are you looking for an alternative to a hunting GPS tracker? If so, we would recommend you to consider GPS watches for hunting. Among the best GPS watches for hunting are Garmin Fenix 5X, Suunto Transverse Alpha Foliage, and Garmin Tactix Bravo. Now, we’ll describe you briefly each of these models.
- Let’s get started with Garmin Fenix 5X. You should know that Garmin Fenix 5X is an easy to use GPS watch. So, it will not take you too much time to get used to this hunting GPS tracker. This GPS watch is likely to impress you with its great features. Garmin Fenix 5X comes with the detailed preloaded maps, compass and a heart rate monitor. The watch also shows weather forecast and storm warning. It’s also important to note that Garmin Fenix 5X is a customizable GPS watch. The watch is well-known for its long battery life. The battery can work up to 100 hours if the watch is used in GPS mode.
- Suunto Transverse Alpha Foliage is another great GPS watch for hunting. The watch comes with GPS navigation. In addition, you’ll receive special features for hiking, fishing, and hunting. The GPS watch will impress you with its beautifully designed screen.
- Garmin Tactix Bravo looks like a military watch. Garmin Tactix Bravo is a nice-looking and very useful GPS watch for hunting. You’ll definitely like the non-reflective design of this GPS watch. The features include GPS navigator, compass as well as wireless connectivity. The watch shows air pressure and temperature during a hunting trip.
ARE ANY GOOD GPS FOR HUNTING WATERPROOF?
- Garmin Foretrex 401 would be the perfect option for those who are looking for a waterproof GPS for hunting. With this type of GPS tracker, you’ll be able to continue hunting in heavy rain and snow. What is great about this GPS is that it comes with a high-sensitivity waterproof GPS receiver. You can even drop the hunting GPS tracker in a stream. The tests have shown that the hunting GPS tracker can withstand the exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. Among the other great GPS tracker’s features are easy-to-read LCD display, barometric altimeter, electronic compass, hunting and fishing information, etc. You can also add a heart rate monitor to the GPS tracker. With Garmin Foretrex 401, you’ll find it easy to track routes during your hunting trip.
ARE ANY GOOD GPS FOR HUNTING UNDER $200?
If your budget doesn’t allow you to purchase expensive GPS devices for hunting, then it makes sense for you to consider the hunting GPS tracker under $200. However, if you choose to buy a GPS tracker under $200 then you need to ensure that it has everything that’s needed for hunting.
- Bushnell BackTrack D-Tour Personal GPS Tracking Device is an example of a good GPS tracker that costs less than $200. This hunting GPS tracker comes with water-resistant construction, D-Tour GPS receiver and digital compass. With this GPS device for hunting, you’ll be able to store up to 5 locations. The hunting GPS also shows time, attitude and temperature.
- Those who would like to buy a hunting GPS tracker under $200 should take a closer look at Garmin eTrex 10 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator. This hunting GPS tracker comes with WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, 2.2-inch monochrome display, and Garmin spine-mounting accessories. The tracker offers good protection against rain.
Pros: GPS devices for hunting under $200 offer good value for money. The GPS devices are available at affordable price and have all the basic features that a hunter needs.
Cons: GPS devices for hunting under $200 don’t have the advanced features (such as a touchable display and others). According to customer reviews, GPS devices for hunting under $200 often connect to satellites slowly. So, you may find it difficult to use a GPS tracker during a hunting trip.
Finally, within this article, we reviewed what you should look for when choosing personal tracking devices for hunting as well as the different types of gps trackers. Based on your needs, the ordering might or might not be accurate for you. Take our guidelines into consideration when you are buying a GPS Tracker. If you have any recommendations for personal tracking devices for hunting, leave them in the comment box below.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY THESE POSTS:
- 101 GPS Tips and Hacks
- 30 Must-Have GPS Tracking for Camping Accessories
- 8 Ways to Charge GPS Tracker for Hiking or Camping
- GPS fun
- Lowrance HDS-7 GEN3 Fishfinder/Chartplotter with Transducer Review
- Garmin Forerunner 935 Running GPS Review: Is It Worth the Hype?
- 22 GPS Safety Tips & To Keep Your Family Safe – Ultimate Guide
- Garmin 010-01809-00 Striker 7SV with transducer Review
- Best Handheld GPS for Camping 2018: My Top Recommendations
- 8 Ways To Charge GPS Tracker For Hiking or Camping
- Choosing Personal Tracking Devices For Elderly: My 2018 Ultimate Guide
- Tile GPS: Our Assessment – Is it Worth the Hype?
- Choosing a GPS Tracker for Kids: My 2018 Ultimate Guide
- Comparing Location Technologies (GPS, vs RFID vs Bluetooth vs. Wi-Fi)
- Garmin 010-01806-00 Garmin STRIKER 4cv with transducer Review
- Personal Safety Devices For Women Runners: Tested Advice