A GPS Tracker Can Help You Prevent Your Bike from Being Stolen
It’s widely known that the help of a GPS tracking device is immeasurable if you’ve got lost during your bike tour. That’s why having a GPS device is particularly important for cyclists who often travel in unfamiliar places. With a GPS tracker you’ll find it easy to locate yourself on the map. This will help you figure out in which location you should move quickly.
On the other hand, more and more cyclists choose to use GPS devices to protect their bikes from theft. Are you a biker who can’t imagine your life without cycling? If so, you obviously need to think of protecting your bike from being stolen.
According to the statistics, many cases of bike theft are reported in different parts of the world every year. The statistics also shows that the vast majority of stolen bikes haven’t been recovered. It’s pretty clear that bikes have become the popular target for thefts all over the world.
And of course, cyclists should do everything they can to prevent these kinds of things from happening. Bike theft is a big problem for any cyclist, but luckily it can be easily prevented.
The reality is the modern GPS trackers provide bikes with high level of protection against theft. In fact, a GPS tracker can’t stop a criminal from stealing a bike. However, the device makes it possible for you to locate a stolen bike fast and easy. Thus, you’ll get an opportunity to stop the crime before it happens.
Today, we’ll give you some insights into protecting a bike from thieves. First of all, we’ll outline the importance of installing a GPS tracker on a bike. Also, we’ll tell you about different types of GPS tracking devices that can be used for bike theft prevention. Then, we’ll explain to you how to use a GPS tracker to save your bike from theft. Finally, you’ll get tips for picking the right type of a GPS tracking device for your bike.
Installing a GPS Tracker is a Great Way to Protect a Bike from Theft
Actually, there are many ways of protecting a bike from criminals. Among the most popular ways to prevent bike theft are: padlocks and chains. However, it’s important to point out that this bike theft protection technique has its own drawbacks.
You should know that the vast majority of thieves can unlock your bike very quickly. That means that padlocks as well as chains may not stop bike theft. That’s why you should think of protecting your bike with the modern GPS tracking system.
There is no doubt that a GPS tracker will become a good addition to padlocks and chains. Even if you prefer to use padlocks and chains for theft prevention, a GPS tracking device can contribute greatly to the security of your bike.
Different Types of GPS Trackers for Preventing Bike Theft
There are different types of GPS trackers that can be used for preventing a bike from being stolen. So, you’ll be able to find a GPS tracker that can fit your bike’s security needs and budget in the best possible way. These types of GPS devices have been designed with cyclists in mind. The GPS tracking devices add an extra level of protection against bike theft.
– If your budget doesn’t allow you to buy an expensive GPS tracker for your bike, we would recommend you to pay a close attention to matchbox-sized GPS trackers. You’ll be able to purchase this type of GPS tracking device for approximately $50.
It’s worth noting that matchbox-sized GPS tracking devices are easy to use. So, you’ll not find it hard to attach a device to your bike. Plus, it will not take you too much time to figure out how a GPS device works. Above all, the GPS tracker can be easily removed for recharge each time when such a need arises.
- It’s a great idea to install GPS devices that can be hidden inside your bike’s steerer tube. That means that a thief is unlikely to notice GPS tracker and will not be aware of the fact that you are tracking your bike’s location. Such GPS devices can work without recharge for about 1 – 2 weeks or event longer. However, you must be prepared to pay more if you are looking to purchase this type of GPS tracking devices.
– We also recommend you to pay a close attention to tail light GPS tracking devices. What is great about the GPS tracking devices of this type is that they are powered by a small electrical generator (also known as hub dynamo).
bn That means that you’ll not need to remove a GPS tracker for recharge. This is something that makes a GPS tracker a good option for cyclists who would like to protect their bikes from theft. But you need to know that tail light GPS trackers are quite an expensive option.
How Does a GPS Tracker Work to Save a Bike From Theft?
- It’s pretty easy to protect a bike with a GPS tracker. First and foremost, you need to install a small GPS tracking device on your bike. Make sure that a thief will not be able to find a GPS device on your bike. So, it makes a lot of sense for you to hide a GPS tracker inside bike’s tube, light, headset or in other bike’s parts.
- Next, you need to install a GPS tracker’s application and activate the GPS tracking device on your mobile phone. As a result, your bike’s GPS tracker will be connected to your smartphone. So, once your bike has changed its location and left a predefined radius, you’ll receive a notification on your mobile phone immediately.
- If the worst happens and someone makes an attempt to steal your bike, then you’ll definitely need to act fast! With the up-to-date GPS system you will be able to locate your stolen bike quickly. The device will show where your bike is located on Google Maps. This is how a GPS tracking device works to save your bike from theft.
What to Look for in GPS Tracking Devices that Prevent Bike Theft
So, the big question is – what GPS tracking device you need to purchase to protect your bike from being stolen? Now, it’s time for you to get the correct answer to this important question. Below, we’ll tell you about the factors you need to consider in order to buy the GPS tracker for bike theft prevention.
- Size. Of course, you should aim to buy small sized GPS devices that can be easily hidden on your bike. Obviously, you’ll hardly be able to hide a large sized GPS tracking device inside your bike’s tube or in other bike’s parts. That means that the smaller your GPS tracker is – the better.
- Battery life. It can be inconvenient for you to replace a GPS tracker’s battery for recharge frequently. So, it would be better for you to consider a GPS tracking device with a battery that can work without recharge for a long time. That’s the reason why you should always pay a close attention to GPS tracker’s battery life.
Let’s assume that you don’t want to remove a battery for recharging frequently. If this is the case, we would recommend you to consider GPS trackers that come with a hub dynamo instead of a battery.
It’s also important to know that some up-to-date GPS tracking devices come with a battery that activates only when a target starts moving. A battery goes into sleep mode if the target doesn’t move. As a result, a GPS tracker’s battery is saved. This is something that makes it possible for a battery to work for a long time without charging.
- Features. It goes without saying that you should consider GPS tracking devices that come with the geo-fencing feature. Geo-fencing feature provides a bike with high level protection against theft. With such a great feature you’ll get a notification on your mobile phone each time a bike leaves the pre-defined area. Among other key GPS tracker’s features are: a GPS transmitter, a battery as well as motion sensor. Analyze all of the GPS device’s features carefully to make sure that the tracker has everything that’s needed to track bike’s location.
- Price. It’s crucial for you to decide how much you are ready to spend on the purchase ahead of time. It’s a great idea to set the budget prior to considering GPS trackers for saving your bike from theft. Keep in mind that GPS tracking devices that can be used for a bike cost between $50 and $150.
- Customer reviews. And remember, you should definitely spend some time on researching customer reviews about your favorite GPS trackers. By doing so, you’ll be able to analyze what people say about a GPS tracking device of your choice. Without a doubt, this will help you make your own conclusions and decide whether a GPS tracker is worth buying or not. Finally, you’ll be able to make a smart decision!